This article will show you how to enable or disable having the Menu bar to always be turned on by default in Internet Explorer 9 (IE9) for all users in Windows 7 and Vista.
For details and download information about Internet Explorer 9, please see:
You will need to be logged in as an administrator to be able to do this tutorial.
Through the Local Group Policy Editor
1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.
2. In the left pane, click on to expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, and Internet Explorer. (see screenshot below)
3. In the right pane, right click on Turn on menu bar by default and click on Edit. (see screenshot above)
4. To Disable Internet Explorer 9 Menu Bar Always On
Even when "Always On" is disabled, you will still be able to view the IE9 Menu bar temporarily by pressing the ALT key.
A) Select (dot) either Not Configured or Disabled. (see screenshot below step 6)
B) Go to step 6.
5. To Enable Internet Explorer 9 Menu Bar Always On
A) Select (dot) Enabled. (see screenshot below step 6)
6. Click on OK. (see screenshot below)
7. Close the Local Group Policy Editor window.
8. If you are enabling IE9 Menu bar always on, then open Internet Explorer 9 and press the ALT key. The Menu bar will now always be turned on when you open IE9.
9. If you are disabling IE9 Menu bar always on, then close and reopen Internet Explorer 9 (if open) to apply.
IE 9 is not available for Windows XP, Its available for Windows 7.